Danish Refugee Council (DRC) working in more than 30 countries around the world is currently engaged in humanitarian assistance for reintegration solutions for Afghan refugees in districts of Khyber Pakhtunkwha Province of Pakistan through sustainable livelihood and to improve general living conditions.
Position Overall Objectives:
The Field Engineer will be responsible for finding skilled and unskilled labour in beneficiary communities and supervising their work to ensure that the construction/infrastructure work meet the organisations high standards. The Field Engineer will spend nearly all their time in the beneficiary communites and will, alongside the Field Teams, represent the organistion in the beneficiary communities.
Team leadership and capacity building
- Maintain an open dialogue with community representatives to make sure that any concerns the community might have are resolved.
- Ability to train national staff and communities to increase their capacity for self-help and development
- Prepare regular reports on activity physical progress, any issues with implementation and payroll information.
- Represent the organisation as required at inter agency and government co-ordination meetings and liaise with organisations working in operational areas where appropriate
- To be responsible for making sure that the project is implemented as planned and within budget, and in accordance with organisational policies and systems, Sphere standards and HAP principles on accountability to affected populations
- In collaboration with project team members ensure that gender and protection mainstreaming is fully considered throughout the project cycle
- Liaise with other parts of the team to ensure consistency of messages and communication
- To support the International Program Manager and WASH Coordinator to advise on any additional staff recruitment which may be necessary and other resources that are required for the construction.
- Carry out other tasks as may be assigned by the concerned supervisor.
Assessment and Design
- Assess community infrastructure requirements in consultation with communities and in collaboration with other sectors, partners and participate in relevant integrated assessment.
- To work under difficult conditions and be flexible to accommodate any changes in design, approach etc.
- Document and control of cost implications of contract changes due to design and strategy development.
- Select and design the most appropriate form of sanitation system (to include excreta disposal, vector control, solid waste disposal, drainage) taking full account of local conditions, resources, customs and cultural norms with consultation of WASH Coordinator.
- Support the WASH Coordinator in the design, development and integration of M&E systems into the programme components to assist beneficiary accountability, donor reporting and organisational learning.
- Ensure that issues of protection, gender, livelihoods, DRR and environmental impact, operation and maintenance are factored into the infrastructure assessment, design and construction
Management and implementation
- The Field Engineer will be based in Peshawar but will spend nearly all their time for in beneficiary communities.
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative assessments of existing Water and Sanitation in communities and identify options/designs to support community access to Water and Sanitation giving consideration to materials, climate, culture and international standards.
- Collect the technical data to select and design water systems including source selection (ground water, surface water), abstraction, storage, treatment and distribution for new systems and/or the rehabilitation of old systems.
- Work with beneficiary communities to identify and contract skilled and unskilled labour
- Supervise the technical components of the WASH activities and ensure that all work is carried out to a high standard and raise issue with WASH Coordinator.
- Carry a record of the days worked by labourers.
- Supervise the delivery and safe storage of construction materials and ensure that they are of acceptable quality
- Ensure that the physical work on ground proceeds according to schedule and raise any issues with the WASH Coordinator.
Documentation and Reporting
- In co-operation with the field staff and WASH Coordinator, the Field Engineer will be responsible for documentation of all conducted activities including contracts of service providers etc within the project components of responsibility.
- Review documentation of all relevant activities (field trip reports, Weekly reports, minutes of meetings, budgets etc.) in accordance with the organisations guidelines and regulations.
- Ensure consolidated monthly statistics are maintained for all community infrastructure activities.